Important Information About Canine Medications

News, News Flash

Hi everyone, CEO Olivia here. Usually on Fridays I bark out artwork but today I have something urgent I need to share with you. My huMom sits as the Communications Director of the Wally Foundation ~ Canine Epilepsy. She was contacted through the Foundation by a woman who lost her canine Epi Warrior because her medication contained xylitol. Ingesting even a small amount of xylitol can be fatal to a dog.

How did this happen? The Pharmacy dispensed medication for a human unaware that the medication was actually for a canine.  The medication was sweetened with xylitol.  By the time this was sorted out, it was too late.

It is very important when filling a prescription that the Pharmacy is aware the medication is for an animal not a human. Otherwise a tragedy like this might happen again. Never hesitate to talk to your pharmacist & ask questions. They are there to help.

For more on  Managing Your Meds 

Keep your nose up for our upcoming blog post that digs more into managing our good dogs medications.

CEO Olivia

Reminder – November is Epilepsy Awareness Month. This year I’m asking all my fellow Epilepsy Warriors & wagnificent supporters to help me raise Canine Epilepsy awareness globally. Here’s what I want you to do. Get your human to take your picture with a sign showing your “Bark Out” or motto against this horrible disease. Then send it to me by messaging my Facebook page, “Oh, the Life of Olivia“.

Once November arrives I will begin posting the pictures I’ve received. Let’s show the world how strong the Canine Epilepsy Community is.

Middle image shared from Image shared from https://quiviraroadac.com/xylitol-the-artificial-sweetener-that-can-kill-your-dog/?fbclid=IwAR1ODQLagkoyrB4CyIQ8JWt93Vn66pqGyLKWB0_egF0NVE4eOi2sMFXaoCE

Peanut Butter

Health, News

tumblr_mxyz5dsTTm1qd4vugo1_500

 

If you’re like many people, you enjoy giving your dog some peanut butter as an occasional treat. Some of us use it as a reward or to hide medication.

This has not been an issue up until now.   However, now with the introduction of xylitol, a sugar substitute that is appearing in some lines of peanut butters on the market, it makes whether or not it’s safe to give peanut butter to your dog(s) a serious life threatening issue.

Xylitol, a sweetener, gained popularity because of its ability to help prevent cavities & tooth decay; it also has a low glycemic index. While xylitol appears to be perfectly safe for people, it is extremely dangerous for dogseven in small quantities.
  •  Ingestion of as little as 0.1 gram (g) of xylitol per kilogram (kg) of body weight (0.1 g/kg) can cause a rapid & dangerous drop in a dog’s blood sugar (a condition called “hypoglycemia”). Hypoglycemia can show as staggering, appearing disoriented, collapse, weakness, & seizures.
  • Just slightly more than that, approx. 0.5 g/kg xylitol ingestion, can lead to debilitating, & sadly often deadly, destruction of a dog’s liver cells.

These quantities, or toxic doses, are based on the data that the animal-specific poison control hotlines have collected from reported cases*. To highlight that these are reported cases is important, because not every case of toxicity makes it to the vet, & not everyone that does go to the vet is called into the animal poison control hotlines. So the actual toxic doses could be even lower, & dogs with certain pre-existing medical conditions (such as diabetes, hepatitis, epilepsy & others) are likely to be even more sensitive to the toxic effects of xylitol.

xylitol-toxicity-table-1

*Sources: New Findings On The Effects Of Xylitol Ingestion In Dogs from ASPCA-APCC 2006; Acute Hepatic Failure And Coagulopathy Associated With Xylitol Ingestion In Eight Dogs from ASPCA-APCC 2006, published in JAVMA (J Am Vet Med Assoc 2006; 229:1113-1117)

We encourage you to learn more about the danger xylitol poses to dogs & the array of products xylitol is commonly found in.  Share what you’ve learned here with other dog-loving people, dog park packs, & friends. If you think your dog has eaten xylitol, contact a vet or emergency clinic right away.  They’ll be able to guide you as to what to do next.

CEO Olivia ❤