Hi there, Dot & Jerry Underfoot here today to talk on behalf of us cool cats & how you humans & canines can best avoid an unnecessary incident; a kitty slap or worse, a bite.
If a fabulous feline were to slap or bite you, from the cat pawspective they have given you plenty of “Stop Now!! warnings but something was missed in translation because you have ignored them. Now we must teach you about boundaries & that “We are in charge!” The hard way.
The most obvious clues that we feel threatened are hissing, growling & puffing up. If we walk away, it’s best to leave us alone. We are not in the mood. Remember, we cats are in charge & will react if we feel otherwise. Do not try to hold us or hug us unless we have a pawsonal understanding & that can take time to develop. You should also know we don’t like the head on approach, to us that is predator behavior & we need to react accordingly. Claws & Jaws. Let us come to you, on our own time & you may just receive the gift you so seek, our affection.
Here are 5 Feline Offences You Want to Avoid
- Don’t force interactions. If we want space or to be left alone, respect our wish.
- Don’t punish. Instead show us what is acceptable to you & if our needs are met, that’s meowsome.
- Don’t encourage aggressive play. We can get over stimulated & need to bite something to get rid of the excess energy. Besides, we always win.
- Don’t stare. Eye to eye contact is a no no. We cats find it not only rude but an act of aggression. Again, if you ignore our warnings you will have given us cat’s no other choice but to react. Just don’t do it, seriously.
- Don’t use physical restraint, like trying to hug us or hold us. Again, that is predator behavior & we need to escape even if that means, “Claws & Jaws”. Remember the next time you try & we move in reverse, let go. It’s in all our best interest.
Our best advice is to study the chart above & then further your studies; there is a lot of good information out there. The Two Crazy Cat Ladies are a meowsome way to learn more about us furbulous felines.
Meow for Now,
Dot & Jerry Underfoot 🐾💜😻💜🐾