I regularly get coconut oil in my diet & many have asked why. The simple answer is, it’s very good for me. But I should explain. The benefits of coconut oil comes from the type of fats it contains. Coconut oil is almost exclusively (more than 90%) saturated fat & is one of the few foods that can be classified as a “superfood”.
Medium chain triglycerides (MCT’s) are coconut oils secret. MCT’s provide many benefits which include digestion improvement, immune system support, metabolic function that assists with weight loss, skin & coat health as well as thyroid health.
In addition, MCTs are efficiently metabolized to provide an immediate source of fuel & energy, enhancing athletic performance & aiding weight loss. In dogs, the MCTs in coconut oil balance the thyroid, helping overweight dogs lose weight & help sedentary dogs feel more energetic.
Integrative Veterinarian & Naturopathic Doctor, Dr. Karen Becker, says MCTs have been shown to improve brain energy metabolism & decrease the amyloid protein buildup that results in brain lesions in older dogs.
When starting a dog on coconut oil, it is most important that you start slow. Start with a tiny amount, ¼ teaspoon per day for small dogs & puppies, or if your dog’s constitution is sensitive. One teaspoon a day to start for larger dogs. Your dog needs to take time for their body to adjust. If you start with larger amount of coconut oil, your dog could experience side effects such as diarrhea or greasy stools. Once adjusted, slowly increase the amount stopping at about 1 teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight daily.
- Clears up skin conditions such as eczema, flea allergies, contact dermatitis & itchy skin
- Reduces allergic reactions & improves skin health
- Makes coats become sleek / glossy, & deodorizes doggy odor
- Prevents / treats yeast & fungal infections, including candida
- Disinfects cuts & promotes wound healing
- Improves digestion & nutrient absorption
- Aids healing of digestive disorders like inflammatory bowel syndrome & colitis
- Reduces or eliminates bad breath in dogs
- Aids in elimination of hairballs & coughing
Immune System, Metabolic Function, Bone Health
- Antibacterial, antiviral, & anti-fungal agents that prevent infection & disease
- Regulates / balance insulin & promotes normal thyroid function
- Helps prevent or control diabetes
- Helps reduce weight, increases energy
- Aids in arthritis or ligament problems
I should also mention that when I have a fight with the Epi-Monster, I am given coconut oil in my Kong. It helps calm me & gives me something to focus on 🙂
CEO Olivia ❤